I was responsible for leading the UX design process on this project
Benchmarking analysis on existing page revealed a performance score of 74/1000
Exploratory research helped us to create a white label ‘vision’ prototype
Understanding existing website tech constraints posed several challenges that helped shape our MVP
We approached the redesign on a component-by-component basis
The project involved a cross-functional agile team across three timezones
↔ Rebuild page in a responsive layout
↗ Increase volume of online sales
↗ Improve usability benchmarking score
♻️ Usability Testing
🔍 UX Research
🎨 Visual Design
🌍 Remote collaboration
After carrying out a landscape review, we collected and printed several examples of best-practice PDPs, which we then cut into sections. We then carried out a moderated card sorting exercise, in which we asked participants to build their ideal PDP based on different scenarios. We also asked participants questions around what they would want or expect to see from a Bunnings PDP.
With the insights we gained from exploratory research, we began to sketch out high level concepts of how we thought the new Bunnings PDP could look. We then created a white label Invision mobile prototype, which we used in moderated usability testing at AKQA. The insights from testing allowed us to define the components and general layout that would be included in the new PDP.
Each component we designed underwent rigorous testing. Depending on the stage of design, scale of component and potential impact on customers, we tested using several different methods. For instance, smaller components with a lower impact were guerrilla tested in-store, whilst higher impacting components of the page underwent moderated usability testing in our lab at AKQA.
There when you
A recent moderated usability test that we carried out involved observing how users interacted with a purchasing component that stuck to the page on scroll.
We created hypothetical scenarios for the participants to consider, then allowed them time to browse the page as we observed their behaviour, before asking participants to complete specific tasks. Our results showed that the side panel did not impede browsing behaviour, and enhanced the purchasing experience by being readily available.
Work in progress
Scheduled completion mid 2019
Below is a snippet of what the PDP looks like at the time of writing. Currently, I’m continuing work on designing, testing and validating the remaining components, which will then go into visual design refinement, dev handover and design QA.
I am also working closely with the insights team to implement sophisticated tracking on the page, which will allow us to monitor how customers are interacting with the PDP once it goes live.
Simultaneously, I’m continuing to work with Bunnings both on-site and at AKQA on their strategy to roll out nationwide Click & Collect, followed by delivery of all online orders.
What I’ve learned
On this project I’ve learned the importance of persevering with ideas that I believe in and how to utilise storytelling techniques to convince the client to make bold decisions.
Equally, I’ve honed my skills in recognising problems early, understanding when to stop or pivot, and when to reject an idea completely without personal attachment.
This project has also taught me a lot about working alongside a completely remote scrum team, which has improved my time and handover management skills by working across several timezones.
I intend to keep this case study up to date as the project progresses. Watch this space for updates…